The power of play: How to get the best out of gamification

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andy Dale Andy Dale 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Stuart Banbery
    Stuart Banbery
    Participant

The link below takes you to a really interesting article about how the rising trend of gamification can be used to increase engagement, productivity and loyalty;

The power of play; gamification

What are everyone’s views on gamification?

Profile photo of Jan Lindborg
    Jan Lindborg
    Participant

My company has dabbled with gamification – often a bespoke activity by a small L&D team (for example ethics and compliance training). I believe there is a lot to leverage from this technology and with an extremely competitive audience (sales people), I see good gamification really driving people to take training and retain the information.

The issue for me is the “bespoke” part. Right now it seems that we lack the technology to build our own in-house gamification platforms. Or perhaps we have the tools in front of us and aren’t using them (Storyline, Saba Cloud, SharePoint).

Is anyone building gamification in house? I can easily go out to a vendor and buy into someone else’s infrastructure, scoring, dashboards and so on, but believe it will only become part of our standard suite of offerings when we can build it ourselves. Perhaps there is a gap that can be addressed….

Profile photo of Andy Dale
    Andy Dale
    Participant

I notice some suppliers are now willing to sell gamification templates, you can then build on the template with your own internal resource the learning outcomes at a more cost effective solution(s) than buying off the shelf all the time. I notice some are using storyline for the basis of gamification, so the art of the possible is there to do it in house. The challenge being what does good look like, is it a game or is it learning. I’ve seen both sides that don’t tick both boxes, for it to be viable the solution needs to tick both boxes in the business setting. I’m struggling with the meaning of gamification in the business setting. Can it be a leader board, badges, both and not have a true game playing element (i.e. roll a dice, visit a shop etc..)? Or does it need to have that game element to be truly classed gamification, to me the game element is in the main repetition and in business if somebody is playing a game to get a ‘better’ score at a customer’s expense I now have an issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

Please leave your message here and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Sending

©2017 Learning Professional Network